Do I have the courage to live my dream?

by midlifecrisisqueen on December 14, 2013

“In order to learn the most important lessons of life, one must each day surmount a fear.”       — Ralph Waldo Emerson

Major life changes always require one to live on their personal edge.  I am relearning this lesson now, as my husband and I prepare to move to a new and quite different part of Colorado.  We have chosen a major lifestyle change as we consider retirement.

Our life now is what I have come to call “metro-fied.”  We live in a major metropolitan area with 114 people/square mile, where ever increasing crowding, pollution, traffic and aggressive behavior is the norm.

As numerous national magazines continue to identify Fort Collins as one of the best places to retire, we can hardly wait to leave!

This prompted my husband to begin a search for inexpensive land in Colorado with incredible views.  He happened on to the area west of Walsenburg, Colorado, in the foothills near a lovely small town called La Veta.  We’ve taken a few trips down there, and on this last one we chose a lot to purchase.  It looks like we will be moving this summer!

I am one who does not make decisions lightly, especially ones like this.  I know that I am tired of living in the city where air and light pollution are the norm, traffic jams are a way of life, and the anonymity of overcrowding leads to ever increasing incidents of violence.

In contrast, Huerfano county in southern Colorado has only 4 people per square mile.  There we have found a friendly, caring sense of community, median age 51.

At lunch the other day, we walked into the Next Door Deli and met no less than five people who were happy to share their experience of moving to or living in La Veta.  The owner was actually from Fort Collins, and the Reuben sandwich I had was the best ever!

Laura-on-lot smallThe three acres we chose are at around 7,000 feet with views of mountains in three directions.  The photo at left is the view from our future south-facing solar home.

The two mountains we will face are called the Spanish Peaks.  Quite an improvement over looking at the house across the street, don’t you think?

Yes, I can see that it will take a lot of energy and courage for me to move on, but at this point I can’t wait!  If not now, when?

Kimba December 14, 2013 at 10:50 am

Considering a move myself to a lake house (from metro DC area; big change). Let me know how it’s working for you; good to know there are others out there who are switching things up!

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) December 14, 2013 at 11:41 am

How exciting! And what a wonderful view.

We’re living a suburban life now and it looks likely that we’re going to move in the direction of more urban, oddly enough. Especially since we both grew up in small towns and had a long-term dream to move to the country that we never implemented. Now, though, we love museums, nice restaurants, and walking in interesting cities. Paris is starting to look like a good place to retire!

Barbara Younger December 14, 2013 at 11:50 am

Congrats. Thinking of some changes ourselves. Love to read about the decisions of others.

Pat December 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Sounds like bliss. Good luck with move and the transition.

midlifecrisisqueen December 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Happy to find better restaurants in our new town, especially non-chains, and extremely friendly folks much like us. After driving through Denver yesterday and seeing the heavy pollution, we’re looking forward to no traffic and clean mountain air. — LLC

Lisa Froman December 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm

What a gorgeous view. Looks like paradise to me….yay you!

midlifecrisisqueen December 16, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Yes Lisa! We will be looking at mountains on three sides and far away from crowds and pollution… Can’t wait! LLC

Tammy December 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

It sounds wonderful. Congrats to you both. I moved from my home town of Los Angeles to Colorado Springs many years ago. Our daughter was 8. When she was 24 she moved back to L.A. So did I. I have to say, I miss Colorado every day. The friends I made there, the seasons. That being said, I’ve found a wonderful life here and can’t imagine living anywhere else. Guess there’s no place like home. Best to you, Laura Lee!

midlifecrisisqueen December 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Yes Tammy: There’s no place like home, wherever that happens to be! — Laura

Dave Bernard March 10, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Good for you! I can totally relate to wanting to escape the population explosion in your own backyard. We have spent our lives in the Bay Area (not sure the number of people per square foot but too many!) and recently found our ideal retirement spot in Carmel. Near a small downtown (walkable from the house!), no rush hour, clean air, near the ocean, big yard with lots of room for veggies and flowers, beautiful for sure. We cannot move quite yet but hope to escape to our new home in one year (fingers crossed). Good luck on your journey and enjoy it! :)