How to make happier holidays…

by midlifecrisisqueen on November 28, 2012

As the time arrives for my annual “I’m beginning to dread a lot about Christmas” issue, I am feeling mostly ambivalent about this American tradition of commercialism gone wild.

After Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday and Giving Tuesday, I would like to propose F*** Off Wednesday!!!

However, I would still like to feel good about “the holidays.”  I really would.  But as the first generation raised on 24/7, in-your-face, crass commercialism, I feel inundated with the ugliness of it all.

Is denial the normal human reaction to losing control over everything else in our lives?  Has global warming, which is only increasing as the permafrost melts, causing this desperate attempt at absolute distraction?  “I’ll just buy one more piece of crap from China.  That will solve the problem!”

The new trend in celebrity brand names is one of my personal favorites, where those who have nothing give their money to those who have everything.  Does this make any sense to you?  Or is this the final stage of idiocy in the decline of the Western World?

Christmas today reminds me of my original sugar addiction, which started small, but only grew as I needed more sugar each time to get the same high, until it all became stressful, deadly and meaningless.

As the holidays descend upon us all, gratitude is the theme at our house.  We now have three traditions we enjoy.  These are the activities that feel stress-free and fun to us.  We celebrate the winter solstice by decorating our recycled tree with decades-old trinkets, which bring back great memories!  We then watch the Polar Express, while drinking hot chocolate, of course.  And exchange a few inexpensive but meaningful gifts.

We have learned how to enjoy the season, no stress, no muss, no fuss.  Who knows, we may even get some relief from our present drought here in Colorado, and receive some much needed snow to put us in the mood!

I wish the same to you and yours.

Still Blonde after all these YEARS November 28, 2012 at 9:14 am

I guess it’s like every other crazy situation. We must learn to “Step away from the drama”.

midlifecrisisqueen November 28, 2012 at 9:46 am

…and the shopping!

Carol (middle-aged-diva) November 28, 2012 at 10:16 am

“The final stage of idiocy”–love this. I sometimes feel the same way.

midlifecrisisqueen November 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

But seriously Carol, doesn’t it all seem fairly crazy??? All that shopping and spending money most of us don’t have to waste?

Kat Meller November 28, 2012 at 11:11 am

here here
We still get a little “crazy” here but nothing like we use to, how much “stuff” can you have? I mean really.
My mom has had a tradition that goes way back with us (ok since I got married) where she buys an ornament each year that symbolizes or is a reminder of something that happened that year. As my kids were born (and continued with my sisters kids) she includes ornaments for the kids as well.
When I put up our tree it is like a walk down memory lane – every vacation/sporting milestone/school events, graduations, etc. So much fun.

Now if you could get and KEEP the “white stuff” by you and not out here (we have had enough already thank you) I would be most appreciative

Jennifer Comet Wagner November 28, 2012 at 11:35 am

I hate shopping at normal times of year, so during the holiday season I really don’t want to have anything to do with. We only exchange presents with my immediate family – my husband and kids. We keep things very simple now that the kids are older.

midlifecrisisqueen November 28, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Yes Kat, I have also been purchasing one meaningful tree ornament for decades now. This annual trip down memory lane never fails to put me in tears, but in a good way!

midlifecrisisqueen November 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Jennifer, I am struggling to just think of a few simple gifts this year and NOT shop too much! Thanks goodness for online book shopping!

Haralee November 28, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I wish you a stress less Holiday!

Grace Hodgin November 28, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Most of my gift exchanging friends and family members are artists so we make something for each other. I avoid the hoop-la as well and love staying home.